“As a retired teacher I am very impressed with the consciousness involved in planning the curriculum. It is set up for maximum learning in small pieces with spiraling to keep deepening the knowledge!” – Terry T.
About ITEA: Mission & Objectives
The Mission of the Institute of Taoist Education and Acupuncture is to provide a deep and comprehensive education in the theory and practice of Classical Five-Element Acupuncture, based on the teachings of J.R. and J.B. Worsley. Our educational program develops the professional skills and inner capacities of our students to be effective healers and inspiring teachers, and engenders in them a deep understanding and respect for the integrity of the human body, mind and spirit as it exists within nature.
Graduates of ITEA will possess:
- A thorough theoretical understanding of Classical Five-Element theory and its place in Oriental philosophy and in history, as well as a personal awareness of the Five Elements and how they interconnect people with nature.
- The ability to use the Five Elements in clinical practice in order to recognize disharmony in their clients, formulate a Traditional Diagnosis, develop an appropriate treatment plan, and provide appropriate care.
- Competence and interpersonal sensitivity in the application of the technical skills of assessment used in Classical Five-Element Acupuncture, including pulse taking, palpation, and discernment of color, sound, odor and emotion.
- Competence and interpersonal sensitivity in the application of the technical skills of treatment used in Classical Five-Element Acupuncture, including acupuncture and moxibustion.
- Important qualities of a health care practitioner including listening and communication skills, the ability to build rapport, and a commitment to conducting oneself in a professional and ethical manner with clients and colleagues.
- A sufficient knowledge of western medical terminology, pharmacology, diagnostic procedures and treatment methods to enable effective communication with clients and other health care providers.
- The capacity to practice in a safe and prudent manner, including the ability to recognize emergency conditions and other circumstances that may necessitate referral to—or consultation with—other health care providers.
- The ability to inform the public and potential future students about the philosophy of Classical Five-Element Acupuncture and its benefits.
The Institute of Taoist Education and Acupuncture will be locally and internationally recognized as the premier college for providing transformative learning and contributing to the health and well-being of current and future generations.
JOIN ITEA IN DOING SOMETHING DIFFERENT!
The study of Classical Five-Element Acupuncture can be challenging, and one can never know it all. There is always more to learn—a greater depth of understanding to be explored. Learning basic theory and technical facts is only a small part of becoming a Classical Five-Element acupuncturist. The sensory understanding of nature as a teacher is the real essence of the work. This learning cannot be explained through words, but must be experienced. Being a Classical Five-Element acupuncturist may be the most compelling thing you’ve ever done.
For more information on a Masters in Acupuncture in Classical Five-Element Acupuncture please download the ITEA Catalog.